John Philipot’s Roll of the Constables of Dover Castle and Lord Wardens of the Cinque Ports, 1627
Stock code: 711
4to., with a portrait frontispiece, 8 coloured plates of arms and a monochrome facsimile; cloth, a fine copy in the dustwrapper.
The only published transcript of Philipot's Roll, the original of which lies in the East Sussex Record Office. Since Philipot's document is at variance with corresponding lists (e.g. Statham, Darell, Lyon and Hasted), its publication for a wider audience was a signficant step both for scholars of the history of the Cinque Ports and for those with an interest in the county generally. Woods, B54.